#OurDemocracy PEACE+ Democracy Forum
How to Counter the Influence of the War Machine
In a healthy democracy, decisions made in Parliament should reflect the best interests of our communities. But this isn’t always the case.
Industries that profit from war have been infiltrating our democracy. This creates roadblocks for communities who advocate for peace when championing much-needed and common-sense reforms.
But we can fix this. To get progress on the issues that we care about – like greater peace here and abroad – we need a strong and healthy democracy free from corporate influence.
Join us for the #OurDemocracy Peace + Democracy Forum, co-hosted by the Medical Association for Prevention of War, the Australian Democracy Network, the Uniting Church Synod of Victoria and Tasmania and the Human Rights Law Centre.
What: Peace + Democracy Forum
When: 6:30-8pm AEST, (that is 6pm Central and 4:30pm Western Time) Monday 10th July 2023
Where: Zoom, RSVP here and a link will be sent to you.
- Dr Mark Zirnsak Senior Social Justice Advocate of the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania, Uniting Church in Australia
- Dr Sue Wareham OAM President of the Medical Association for Prevention of War (Australia)
- Scott Ludlam Freelance troublemaker & former WA Senator
- Dr Alison Broinowski Vice-President of Australians for War Powers Reform
- Michelle Fahy Independent researcher & journalist
At this webinar, you’ll hear about the pervasive tactics used by harmful industries to influence policy outcomes, why a strong democracy is the key to progress, as well as how we can work together to make our democracy work for all of us, not just the powerful few.
This is an open event for anyone passionate about peace. Please share with your networks!